Painting & Finishing DreamWood Vinyl Replacement Windows
NOTE: Please remove clear, protective film at installation.
- All wood parts must be sealed or finished within 10 days of the installation to prevent moisture penetration.
- High quality stain, paint or surface treatments such as polyurethane or varnish should be applied according to the manufacturer’s directions. NOTE: DO NOT USE GEL STAINS ON DREAM®WOOD.
- When paint or varnish type finishes are used, overlap onto the glass surface to create a seal between the wood and glass surface to prevent moisture penetration.
- Wood surfaces require the normal maintenance associated with all wood products and should be periodically refinished.
- For best results, use only oil based liquid stains and finish with a high-quality oil base urethane cover coat.
- Avoid using harsh detergents, strong soap, abrasive cleaners or self-polishing waxes when cleaning. They could have a deteriorating effect on the finished surface.
- Treat your Dream®Wood Windows as you would your fine furniture, and they will reward you with long-lasting beauty.
How to Paint and Stain DreamWood and Natural Woodgrain Interiors
Cleaning & Preparation
Clean areas that will be painted or stained with a household cleaner (example: Formula 409). Test the cleaner on an inconspicuous area.
Mask off all handles, operators and hardware.
Read and follow manufacturer’s paint/stain instructions.
Make sure any cleaned areas are dry, then test any paint or stain
on an inconspicuous area.
Use a soft bristle, natural hair brush. A primer is not necessary.
- For best results, use only oil based liquid stains. NOTE: DO NOT USE GEL STAINS ON DREAM®WOOD OR NATURAL WOODGRAIN! Apply with a dry, lint free cloth. Wait the manufacturer’s recommended time between coats of stain and repeat. SUGGESTION: Several light coats of stain are better than one or two heavy coats.
- Finish with a high-quality oil base urethane cover coat.
- Note: Stains* may be darkened, but not lightened. All paints can be repainted.
- Avoid applying paint or stain on the wool pile seals on the sash perimeters.
- Do not clean with steel wool.
- Do not use sandpaper.
- Do not expose to petroleum distillate.
*If a dark stain tone is preferred, Thermal Industries recommends our Dream®Wood product line.